Google Self-Driving Car is developed by GoogleX, as a part of its project to develop technology, especially for electric cars. It is like any in the range of autonomous cars but it neither has a steering wheel nor pedals. The project is currently led by Mr. Sebastian Thrun, Director of Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
How Google Self-Driving Car actually works?
- There are sensors designed to detect objects. For example, a field away in all directions, cyclists, vehicles or even birds and animals too. The software called ‘Google Chauffeur’ which is installed in the car, process all information to help the car safely navigate the road.
- For that, user/driver need to set a destination. The software installed in the car will calculate a route and starts the car on its way.
- Some like Radar technology, a rotating and roof-mounted LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) technology sensor which detects 60 m range around the car and creates a dynamic 3D map of the car’s current environment and situation.
- The sensor which is connected to the back left wheel detects surrounding movement to check the car’s position related to the 3D map.
- Radar systems in the front and back bumpers calculates the distance to obstacles in case of obstacles are appearing on a road.
- In the car, all the sensors are connected with Artificial Intelligence (AI) software and has an input from Google street view and video cameras inside the car.
- The video camera is fixed near the review mirror to check road signs, traffic lights, and speed limits.
- Position Estimator is mounted on a left rear wheel which determines vehicles location and keeps track of its movements.
- The AI simulates the human power of grasping human perceptual and decision-making processes and controls actions like steering and breaks in driver control systems.
- For any landmarks, traffic signs, and lights or for advance notice of any things, the car’s software consults Google maps.
- To allow a human to take control of the vehicle, an override function is also available inside the car.
- It can take its passengers anywhere they want to go safely and comfortably.
- Steers itself if any obstacles appear.
- Controls speed limit by its own.
- Integrated Google maps with various hardware sensors and software.
- Hardware sensors give real-time environmental properties.
- It can reduce road accidents.
- Decreased travel time.
- It is a great solution to avoid traffic congestion, parking problem.